Thursday, July 23, 2009

7/23/09

These days I have been talking to anyone who even remotely looks Chinese, asking them if they themselves or if someone they know would have an interest in teaching Chinese to the woodcarvers. About half the reactions involve vigorous shaking of the head, and making a face that seems to suggest, “Are you crazy? Why in the world would I want to do that?” I have been pleasantly surprised, however, that the other half of the people are at least mildly interested in what I’m doing. I’ve already given three people my contact information (after they asked for it first), and they will do their best to look for people interested. I met one guy who worked in China, but came to Tanzania to take a look at how the company’s branch in Tanzania was doing, who said that if he were living here, he’d do it in a second. Unfortunately, he will be heading back to China. I also met a father who works as the head of a medical team here distributing medicine to local residents, and his daughter, who had just finished one year of college in China. They were very sympathetic to my plight, but because the father is particularly busy during this time period (old nurses are leaving, and new ones are coming in, so he has to train all the newcomers), he cannot do any teaching.

The fact that some Chinese people are even mildly interested in teaching Chinese really comes as a surprise to me. I could be wrong, China is a country still developing, and very much a country where education is simply a means to climb a social ladder or to make money. Currently, in the Chinese mindset, there is little concept of volunteering. To teach Chinese, it requires that one be paid. I have had more than a number of Chinese people (as well as Tanzanians) who have asked me how much I get paid for teaching Chinese. When I respond, it’s free, people have a hard time swallowing this fact. The father and daughter who I discussed with seemed to understand better, but the daughter explained to me that even those who graduate from college face stiff competition in the Chinese economy.

It really does make me happy, however, that some Chinese expressed interest in teaching Chinese without pay. It not only gives me hope that I may be able to find a teacher to continue the Chinese education of these woodcarvers, but also suggests that Chinese people are more willing to do volunteer work than I had given them credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment